About SCARS

Second Chance Animal Rescue Society (SCARS) is dedicated to reducing the number of homeless animals in Northern Alberta, Canada

We believe that there is a suitable home for all homeless animals: young or old; large or small.

As a volunteer-run, registered charity, we care for these animals by providing veterinary care and foster homes for animals in need until a permanent home is found. These private foster homes provide the animals with warm shelter, food, exercise, and tender loving care (something that so many of the animals we receive have never experienced).

SCARS does not practice selective intake procedures and operates in a triage manner: taking the animal in most medical need first. As a result our medical expenses are enormous. Please consider donating to our rescue efforts.


Look At Us Now!

To date, SCARS has rescued and rehomed over 3,000 animals.

Because these animals live in our homes, we deveop a very deep bond with our fosters. Many of the adoptive families keep us updated on how well their new companions are thriving in their new homes.

To all the wonderful foster homes, all the tireless volunteers, all the compassionate furever-homes: we say a heartfelt thank-you!

Please support your local rescue society and consider adoption as opposed to buying your new friend.


Sunday 4 June 2006

Janey Lee & Scooby Doo

1st is Scooby Doo (aka Homer or Copper)
Mommy and Daddy changed my name when they got me because they say it suites me as I am a little silly and LOVE to eat treats, food (of any kind) and always get into trouble…not on purpose of course J. I was adopted just before Christmas of last year and it has taken this long to write to you! I am a very happy and friendly boy. I especially love my nieces and nephews, I almost vibrate when they come over and Mommy has to hold me so I don’t bowl them over with excitement. I have been to school and don’t usually jump on people anymore…but sometimes it is just so hard to do as I love them soooo much. Speaking of love, I love my Mommy and Daddy and my sister Janey (sometimes). I am a very good little brother and tell on her whenever she is doing something naughty, if at first they don’t hear me I just cry louder and louder….I don’t know what they would do without me! My parents love me dearly and think that I am the bestest boy in the whole world!. I am now 8 months old, but I have really grown into a big boy, about 80 – 90 lbs and very long…just can’t seem to stop eating!!! My nick name is “big nose” cause it is a tad long and I love sticking it were it doesn’t belong….don’t you just love me!! My favourite thing to do is to go for a walk either on my leash or at the off leash park where I can run and play with all my friends!

2nd is sweet Janey Lee (aka Janey)
Mommy and Daddy thought Scooby needed a sweet, shy and timid little sister to play with….boy oh boy did I have them snowed! I am doing well and rule the roost!!! I have my “special” spot in every room and good luck moving me once I have settled. Mommy says that if I could crawl into her skin I still wouldn’t be close enough and I adore my tummy being rubbed….actually, just touch me anywhere and I am happy as a lark!! I go for walks all the time and am a very good girl on or off my leash and always come when I am called…okay, okay…. I sometimes like chasing the odd bird or two and seem to go deaf at that point…but eventually I come back because I love to hear my two favourite words “Good Girl”. It’s all I need. I was a little leery about kids at first, but now I love them and am very good…not like Scooby…. I just wait to be pet and sneak in a few sloppy kisses once and awhile. My nick name is “Reindeer” because when I run I do a little double hop and look like I am trying to fly into the air…its very cute if I do say so myself! I am working on trying not to jump up on Mommy and Daddy, as well as letting my brother Scooby have a couple of pets without interfering, but find this a little difficult at times. I LOVE chewing and digging. I have made my mark in my new back yard by eating all the latis around the patio….Daddy had to make a new railing, but really it was a blessing in disguise as it looks much better now anyway J. My favourite thing is being pet and going to the park to run free, although going in the car to get there still makes me very nervous, but I am trying to be brave.

Thank you to all the people who cared for us when no one else would. Special thanks to the wondering Spruce Grove Vet Clinic who made us feel at home and helped us not to be so scared.

No comments: