About SCARS

Second Chance Animal Rescue Society (SCARS) is dedicated to reducing the number of homeless animals in Northern Alberta, Canada

We believe that there is a suitable home for all homeless animals: young or old; large or small.

As a volunteer-run, registered charity, we care for these animals by providing veterinary care and foster homes for animals in need until a permanent home is found. These private foster homes provide the animals with warm shelter, food, exercise, and tender loving care (something that so many of the animals we receive have never experienced).

SCARS does not practice selective intake procedures and operates in a triage manner: taking the animal in most medical need first. As a result our medical expenses are enormous. Please consider donating to our rescue efforts.


Look At Us Now!

To date, SCARS has rescued and rehomed over 3,000 animals.

Because these animals live in our homes, we deveop a very deep bond with our fosters. Many of the adoptive families keep us updated on how well their new companions are thriving in their new homes.

To all the wonderful foster homes, all the tireless volunteers, all the compassionate furever-homes: we say a heartfelt thank-you!

Please support your local rescue society and consider adoption as opposed to buying your new friend.


Tuesday 6 January 2009

Dexter

Hi SCARS family!


I was at the last adoption event at Petsmart with Dexter (who I adopted this past July) and someone mentioned to me that I should send in my story. I don't think I ever told the SCARS people the whole gist of me and Dexter's story either, so here it is:

I've wanted a dog for as long as I could remember, but was never allowed. So instead, I ended up being the child who brought home the stray dogs all the time, went to the pet store and bought a hamster on my own when I was 11, and told other friends to buy budgies, bunnies, kittens, and if they could - puppies. Ha-ha! Anyways, once I got my own house, I started researching dogs immediately. I researched on breeds and training and costs and everything for almost 2 years. I knew about all the horror stories of people just buying a dog out of impulse and then because they didn't do their research and were not prepared for the responsibility, the poor dogs would be abandoned on the streets or surrendered to the SPCA and possibly put down. I wanted to make sure that I never did that.

I was looking at purchasing a puppy from breeders when some friends of mine told me about SCARS. They had adopted a beautiful puppy who had a really hard life early on. After seeing him and how well he had healed and adjusted to their home and family, I looked into SCARS. During this time, I had also just found out that my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and would be starting chemotherapy as well as having surgery later on. I was stressed and worn down from all the extended family worrying and also from my own thoughts of "what if". But even with that going on, I was still set on adopting a dog. So I contacted SCARS and then went to an adoption day at Tailz and found my blessing.

When I met Dexter I just knew that he was meant to be mine. I went around to take a look at the others but I then noticed another family looking at Dexter and my heart yelled out: "No! He's mine!!". So, I put in my request and he was truly mine a few days later. Dexter was the absolute most amazing dog I could have ever hoped for. He was already so well trained and was so affectionate right off the bat. I took him to the dog parks almost every day and we had great walks and talks with other dog owners. He truly was exactly what I needed and getting Dexter has been the best decision of my life. I really believe that God blessed me with Dexter inorder for me to be strong for my mom and family and to ground me in my life. I find that taking care of him is actually taking care of myself as I don't work crazy long hours anymore and actually have food in my fridge and cook and eat at home. I also love going for those walks and the dog parks have given me serenity and a new found appreciation for this city. Dexter is always a hit with other dog owners and he has this way of playing with everyone! I've been told by numerous amounts of dog owners how good Dexter is and how he's helping to "train" their dogs to play and be gentle or that they're amazed that their dog is playing, etc. He's also a hit with all my friends and I'm constantly complimented about how amazing Dexter is and how handsome he is, and things like that.


Now I just adopted another puppy (who I named Reese) and he and Dexter get along so well. We're a family! Well, I'll send more about the new puppy soon. Along with pictures.


Thank you so much SCARS for all your hard work and the difference you are all making in this world! I am proud to have adopted a SCARS dog and appreciate you all so much.


Cheers and God Bless!


Sarah

No comments: