About SCARS

Second Chance Animal Rescue Society (SCARS) is dedicated to reducing the number of homeless animals in Northern Alberta, Canada

We believe that there is a suitable home for all homeless animals: young or old; large or small.

As a volunteer-run, registered charity, we care for these animals by providing veterinary care and foster homes for animals in need until a permanent home is found. These private foster homes provide the animals with warm shelter, food, exercise, and tender loving care (something that so many of the animals we receive have never experienced).

SCARS does not practice selective intake procedures and operates in a triage manner: taking the animal in most medical need first. As a result our medical expenses are enormous. Please consider donating to our rescue efforts.


Look At Us Now!

To date, SCARS has rescued and rehomed over 3,000 animals.

Because these animals live in our homes, we deveop a very deep bond with our fosters. Many of the adoptive families keep us updated on how well their new companions are thriving in their new homes.

To all the wonderful foster homes, all the tireless volunteers, all the compassionate furever-homes: we say a heartfelt thank-you!

Please support your local rescue society and consider adoption as opposed to buying your new friend.


Thursday 22 January 2009

Belinda

Good evening,

My name is Nicole and we just adopted Belinda yesterday. I wanted to express our gratitude to you, your volunteers and others that help the animals in need. Please read a little about us.

Eleven years ago my husband and I gave up trying to have a baby and set out to adopt a dog. After several attempts we didn't find one that suited us. Several months went by and a friend mentioned that someone they knew was just going to take their dog to the SPCA due to a move they were making in their lives that made keeping their dog impossible. I sent my son, Michael, and husband to take a look and they returned home with our first family dog "Goldie." Shortly after we became pregnant with our 2nd son "Arthur."

Goldie was so much a part of our lives it was hard to think of her ever leaving but the time came and as painful as it was to let her go, we had to. This happened October 26th with not much warning. Michael, myself and a close friend came and we laid with "Goldie" while she fell fast asleep in our arms. Arthur was reasonably upset and wanted to do a fundraiser for cancer awareness with dogs. As much as I wanted to encourage him, I felt it was important to support already established needs such as SCARS and I showed him the web site. I even told him that perhaps after Christmas or in the spring we would adopt a dog from SCARS.

Christmas came and went. On January 20th my husband and I started the journey to search for another family member to join us. We walked into a pet store with several puppies in the window (which caught our eye while driving down the street) and spotted a few that might suit us. The decision needed to be made right away from the store and we didn't want to feel rushed... and perhaps a pet store purchase just didn't feel "right."

January 22, 2009. My son Arthur has a dental appointment and I tell him afterwords we are going to the Vet Office where "Goldie" was put to sleep to pick up her paw print, which we had made for our Christmas tree. We walked in and saw the SCARS calendar for sale and Arthur looked at me knowing full well we were going to buy it - no ifs, ands or butts. Then walks in Deb from SCARS holding this precious black bundle of love. I couldn't help myself and I ask how old "her" dog is. She tells me the age and that the dog is looking for a home. All of a sudden Arthur and I looked at each other and that was "it." I held her and then Arthur held her. No going back now. We knew then it felt "right." We then finally spoke with the receptionist and explained why we were there. Upon receiving the "paw" print, I asked Deb for her card and phone numbers, took a photo of her with Belinda and then rushed home.

When we got home, I showed my husband and older son and we were all in agreement. I called Deb and told her there was NO doubt that we already loved Belinda and our home was ready for her. It has now been 24 hours and she's not been a minute out of my sight or my heart. We've renamed her "Abby" and she sure seems settled in.

I want to, again, express my gratitude for doing what you and everyone else does for these animals. If it weren't for you, our family would not be complete again. You will always have our support, if not financially then with our voices and hearts. We hope to see you more on Global.

Sincerely,

Nicole, Art, Michael, Arthur jr. Taz (the cat) and of course... Abby.

No comments: