About SCARS

Second Chance Animal Rescue Society (SCARS) is dedicated to reducing the number of homeless animals in Northern Alberta, Canada

We believe that there is a suitable home for all homeless animals: young or old; large or small.

As a volunteer-run, registered charity, we care for these animals by providing veterinary care and foster homes for animals in need until a permanent home is found. These private foster homes provide the animals with warm shelter, food, exercise, and tender loving care (something that so many of the animals we receive have never experienced).

SCARS does not practice selective intake procedures and operates in a triage manner: taking the animal in most medical need first. As a result our medical expenses are enormous. Please consider donating to our rescue efforts.


Look At Us Now!

To date, SCARS has rescued and rehomed over 3,000 animals.

Because these animals live in our homes, we deveop a very deep bond with our fosters. Many of the adoptive families keep us updated on how well their new companions are thriving in their new homes.

To all the wonderful foster homes, all the tireless volunteers, all the compassionate furever-homes: we say a heartfelt thank-you!

Please support your local rescue society and consider adoption as opposed to buying your new friend.


Saturday 30 August 2008

Vinny

Hi from Vinny!


I am about a year old now, so I thought I should tell you how I spent my first summer. I am a VERY active dog and I love both people and dogs (and even my cat, especially when she lets me lick her head). My mom says the only time I don't listen all that well is when I NEED to visit another dog or nice person. Otherwise I am a very well-behaved girl. Most of all I love to play with other dogs. I go to doggie day care a few times a week where I have 50 dogs to play with. The day care staff call me the 'happy dog' because I am always friendly - even to dogs who take some time to make friends.


I also like to run with my owners in the river valley. I get to run a little in the house when we play the 'catch me' game, which I'm very good at. I surprised my mom one day when I had the patience to stand quietly behind a door for a full minute or two, and then leap joyfully at her when she thought I'd stopped playing!


For our holiday this year we went on a 3 week road trip, from Edmonton to Port Hardy. I learned to swim in the ocean (but NOT drink the salt water), climb mountains, and run around with kids without knocking them over (took a couple tries tho...)


Last weekend we went to Jasper for my Dad's and my birthday. (He decided that we share the same day!) We went to two different crags and of course I visited everyone who was climbing there. My mom painted most of the time, and I even managed to splash in her paints and help her finish a painting. I've sent some pictures from our trip. (I'm the one with the SCARS bandanna watching my dad climbing. In the picture with my mom you can see how I've learned how to carry my own treats and water - like a real mountain dog!)


I still remember all of the great people at SCARS who saved my life and cared for me. Everyone who meets me says they would like to have a dog like me and I send them straight to the SCARS website! My Mom says she will be forever grateful to the SCARS volunteers for bringing me into her life.


Bye for now - I've got to run to find a cat to lick, bone to dig up, trail to explore, dog to play with, and a new person to fall in love with me - all before noon. Vinny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And it's all true! I met Vinny last spring and she's a great gal (tho she has the occasional spot of 'trouble' in an office environment). Four paws up for the SCARS people.