About SCARS

Second Chance Animal Rescue Society (SCARS) is dedicated to reducing the number of homeless animals in Northern Alberta, Canada

We believe that there is a suitable home for all homeless animals: young or old; large or small.

As a volunteer-run, registered charity, we care for these animals by providing veterinary care and foster homes for animals in need until a permanent home is found. These private foster homes provide the animals with warm shelter, food, exercise, and tender loving care (something that so many of the animals we receive have never experienced).

SCARS does not practice selective intake procedures and operates in a triage manner: taking the animal in most medical need first. As a result our medical expenses are enormous. Please consider donating to our rescue efforts.


Look At Us Now!

To date, SCARS has rescued and rehomed over 3,000 animals.

Because these animals live in our homes, we deveop a very deep bond with our fosters. Many of the adoptive families keep us updated on how well their new companions are thriving in their new homes.

To all the wonderful foster homes, all the tireless volunteers, all the compassionate furever-homes: we say a heartfelt thank-you!

Please support your local rescue society and consider adoption as opposed to buying your new friend.


Thursday 23 June 2005

Harper

Hiya! It's me Harper and it's been, like a person year since I last saw the awesome people at SCARS!!! Did you miss me? My puppy-but-almost-grown-out-of-puppy person told me that my friend Mayor got a good home. Good thing, 'cause i wouldn't want to see him sittin' at SCARS the rest of his life.


In my family there are two little puppy people (they used to pull my ears and fur but I very patiently taught them not to with a few gentle nips), a big puppy person (he likes playing with me and I trained him to play fetch with him fetching), a puppy-but-almost-grown-out-of-puppy person (she plays with me in the mornings and lets me run around in the yard. She tries to catch me and I play the winner), a mom person (she lets me sleep in my own bed-right beside hers!) and a dad person (jeez...you never can train those dads to stay home...). We used to have a bit of a cat problem, which I very bravely terminated. Kinda. Sorta. Not Really. It ran away. I was good throughout the entire process. *shudder* Moving on.....

See,Sylvia, I used to have this problem where my people would go away for the day. Even my most beggingest eyes couldn't keep them home. They started bringing tasty things home so I had to play Mr. Nicedog. But some night, I'll be lying in my bed (upside-down) and I'll hatch up a plan.....(Well it's comfy upside-down!) I have another problem. Sometimes me and my people family go for a walk and we visit some friends. They have people and dogs. There are two pups and one older one. But even the pups are bigger than me!!! And they are all girls!!! It is simply nauseating!!! But that makes me think about last summer when I spent a few weeks at a dog sitter's place. Well...they had this cheeky little thing (a chihuahua) that told me I could try his bed out..well I didn't fit but the sitters caught me and took a picture and THEY SENT IT TO MY PEOPLE!!! These people are just so wierd sometimes!

Well, I could go on for ages about my first year. My jingly ball presents for Christmas, my trips to the groomers, the train incident (umm...embarrassing!), the sprinkler thing, oh it's just too good! Well, I can't say it all but I've GOT to tell you! My puppy-but-almost-not person sometimes comes home smelling like you guys! I just don't get it!!! It's like, freaky! I don't know, but I better go. I can't talk forever, so the last thing I'll tell you is that my birthday was decided to be May 27. My people decided. Okay, I really should go! Hope all the dogs get as great homes as I did! See ya! -Harper

No comments: