About SCARS

Second Chance Animal Rescue Society (SCARS) is dedicated to reducing the number of homeless animals in Northern Alberta, Canada

We believe that there is a suitable home for all homeless animals: young or old; large or small.

As a volunteer-run, registered charity, we care for these animals by providing veterinary care and foster homes for animals in need until a permanent home is found. These private foster homes provide the animals with warm shelter, food, exercise, and tender loving care (something that so many of the animals we receive have never experienced).

SCARS does not practice selective intake procedures and operates in a triage manner: taking the animal in most medical need first. As a result our medical expenses are enormous. Please consider donating to our rescue efforts.


Look At Us Now!

To date, SCARS has rescued and rehomed over 3,000 animals.

Because these animals live in our homes, we deveop a very deep bond with our fosters. Many of the adoptive families keep us updated on how well their new companions are thriving in their new homes.

To all the wonderful foster homes, all the tireless volunteers, all the compassionate furever-homes: we say a heartfelt thank-you!

Please support your local rescue society and consider adoption as opposed to buying your new friend.


Tuesday 7 February 2006

Buddy

Hi! It’s me…Buddy! I’m the big handsome guy and that's my obsessive sister, Maude in the other picture. We’ve been together for almost a month now. I’m writing to you from my forever home where my folks think I’m one of the finest dogs ever. Right from the day I first came here I knew that I had come home to stay.

Sylvia and I had a long trip to get here and I was very tired that first night. I tried to stay awake (because I always want to make sure I’m doing the right thing), but pretty soon I fell asleep sitting up. My Pa showed me my special bed and I snuggled right in. Now bedtime is one of my favourite times of the day because all my family is together in one room.

Routine is very important to me so during the days this is what I do: I go for a long walk in the morning. Ma is teaching me to walk nicely. I get better at it everyday and love to hear “Good Boy!”. She calls me Buddy the Wonder Dog! Then I have peanut butter and toast for breakfast. I have to gain some weight so I’m getting a few extra treats.

After I practice my “Sit” and “Down” and “Stay” I get to relax for the day. I hang around with , Maude, who helps me not to worry. She’s a Border Collie so she’s somewhat finicky about things. She corrects me if I do something too, too goofy, but she likes me anyway and gives me lots of kisses and reassurance.

I understand now that my Ma and Pa will always come home after work. Then we have lots of hugs and lots of supper. After supper we play catch with a crazy ball that bounces every which way. We had to quit playing with it in the house as goes flying into the dining room and bounces off the walls. (I thought that was the best part!) After I’m worn out I sit down by Pa to watch TV.

Although I’m a big boy I’m not all that brave. We don’t play games that are too loud anymore. Sometimes I get scared if folks make loud noises (like cheering and clapping when I am playing Hide & Seek). Then I have to run away to my bed as fast as I can. And frankly, I only barely lived through having a bath and getting my nails cut. Ma says I’ll feel better about it next time. I’m starting obedience school tonight and that will give me more confidence.

I’ve met my cousin dog, Sunny, already. She is a rescued Greyhound who comes to visit and who likes to have sleepovers. We run and play until we cannot go another step. I have lots of other relatives, both kids and grownups. They have all been coming to meet me and they think I’m a pretty nice guy. I am so gentle I don’t even knock the toddler kid over.

Ma and Pa think I have the sweetest face and the sweetest disposition. Nobody knows where I got it. I was a stray and now I’m a pet. We all thanks SCARS for putting my photo on the internet so that Ma and Pa could pick me. I’ll keep in touch!

Love from your old Buddy.

No comments: