About SCARS

Second Chance Animal Rescue Society (SCARS) is dedicated to reducing the number of homeless animals in Northern Alberta, Canada

We believe that there is a suitable home for all homeless animals: young or old; large or small.

As a volunteer-run, registered charity, we care for these animals by providing veterinary care and foster homes for animals in need until a permanent home is found. These private foster homes provide the animals with warm shelter, food, exercise, and tender loving care (something that so many of the animals we receive have never experienced).

SCARS does not practice selective intake procedures and operates in a triage manner: taking the animal in most medical need first. As a result our medical expenses are enormous. Please consider donating to our rescue efforts.


Look At Us Now!

To date, SCARS has rescued and rehomed over 3,000 animals.

Because these animals live in our homes, we deveop a very deep bond with our fosters. Many of the adoptive families keep us updated on how well their new companions are thriving in their new homes.

To all the wonderful foster homes, all the tireless volunteers, all the compassionate furever-homes: we say a heartfelt thank-you!

Please support your local rescue society and consider adoption as opposed to buying your new friend.


Wednesday 20 September 2006

Ella

Aug 28, 2006
Good morning Sylvia and everyone at SCARS:
Summer is coming to an end and what a wonderful summer I had. I have been out to the lake with Alison and the family a few times and had a wonderful time running and playing and swimming in the lake. We just got back from 4 days camping in Edmonton. We took a trip there to see family and friends and stayed at the rainbow campground in Edmonton. I had a great time there, but I had to stay on my leash as there were just too many squirrels that I wanted to chase and catch. At night when we slept in the camper I did not like my bed on the floor and took over the table bed. Alison had to put my pillow on the bed and that is where I slept. The second night I even made her cover me; I figured they had blankets I should get one too, lol. A lot of people at the campsite stopped and talked to me and told me what a pretty girl I was and how well behaved I am. I do try, even though I still have my moments, lol. I still get taken for Ice cream once a week and I so look forward to those days. Orange Sherbet is my fav. I have gotten a lot better with my separation anxiety. Even though Alison is with me most all the time, and takes me with her most all the time, there are days when I am here alone and I have got real good at being good while she is gone. I have learned that she will always come back home. I went to daycare a few times but at first I was real bad there. The first time I thought she gave me away but she came back in two hours so the second time I was a bit better. Now though I know that she loves me too much to leave me and I am good for other people. I miss her when she is gone though. She has been teaching me new things and we have so much fun playing our games. I now can sit, shake hands, play dead, roll over, I know my right from my left, and I now do them all with only a hand command and I even sing sometimes. We are still working on the singing still though. When people come to visit I meet them at the door, I don't jump or bug them though I sit and extend my paw to shake their hand before I do anything. Alison tells me that I am the smartest girl she has ever known and swears that I am part human or at least that I must think I am, lol. All it is though is those Scobby snacks, if you have never had one you should try them, they are the best. I don't mind doing anything trick she asks cause I know there will be a scobby snack at the end and they are worth doing anything, lol. I heard Alison and Lionel talking and they are thinking of getting a second dog so I have someone to chase around the yard and play with. I have doggie friends that come over and play but they think I need a friend here all the time. Alison is on the SCARS website everyday so who knows maybe she will make up her mind soon and we will have another SCARS dog. Alison wants them all though and Lionel says only one. I am attaching some pictures of me taken at Rainbow Valley in Edmonton this past week, hope you like and enjoy. Time to go for a walk. Have a great day and lots of kisses to everyone at SCARS.
Love Ella

Hi Sylvia and Shelly:
I thought it was due time I wrote you both to let you know about Ella. She is a wonderful girl and there is not a moment that goes by that I am not happy about having her here. She has bonded very well with everyone here, especially me. She is very protective of me and does not like to be away from me for very long. She comes everywhere with that and me makes her very happy. She is extremely good in the vehicle and loves to travel with me. I just returned from a week vacation in Vancouver, went to watch the Eskimos win the grey cup, and Ella stayed here with my son. She had a rough first day but adjusted well and was very very happy to see me come home. She has gotten real good on the leash and even better off leash. She loves going to the off leash park everyday and runs and plays and listens to every command I give. She has taken over the one chair in the living room and if she wants up on it and someone is sitting there she lets you know who is boss and whose chair it is. I have my Christmas tree up and she was very interested in that all day yesterday, she didn’t know what to think. She tried to go after the decorations but listens very well to the word NO. All in all she is doing excellent and she seems to be very very happy.
I will write again after Christmas and send pictures of her first Christmas with us. In the meantime here is one of her taken a few weeks ago in her favorite chair.
Kind regards, Alison & Ella

Happy New Year Sylvia and everyone at SCARS,
I celebrated my first Christmas with my new family and did I ever have a good time. We had this big green tree with lots of bright decorations on it in the living room. All the decorations looked like they would make great chew toys but I realized fast that they were only to look at. I got lots of presents .. one present was a big rawhide bone, which I found under the pretty tree about two days before Christmas. It smelled so go I just had to chew all the paper off it and eat it. I also got a bag full of orange toys, some of them squeak when I chew on them, I love the squeakers! I gathered all my new toys up and put them on the couch and chewed on them most of the day. I wouldn't let anyone touch them. The green ones were not mine but I took the green bone anyways and hid it with my toys and played with that one also. I can be a real toy hog when I want to be. Christmas Day we went for a car ride to visit family in Prince Albert and I got lots of treats there too. I am very spoiled and just loving it, I give lots of kisses though to show my appreciation. I really love my new home and I have been very good for my new owners, especially Alison, I listen to everything she tells me (well ok almost everything), I still have to learn the food on the counter is NOT for me. I get to go to lots of places with her, she takes me to the off leash park where I can run and play. She plays fetch with me and I am really good with bringing the ball or frisbee back to her. There are other dogs at the park and I run and play with them and I have made a few friends there that I look forward to seeing when we are at the park. I miss you all at SCARS but I love my new home too. I hope all the dogs there can find loving homes like I have. Alison's daughter is getting a new dog from SCARS, Jonah, and I am looking forward to a new friend to go and visit and play with. Tell Jonah that he is really lucky. They love me to pieces here and I love them all back. I think I heard that Alison is going to Edmonton with them to pick up Jonah, so that means I get to go for a car ride to Edmonton too. Maybe I will get to see someone from SCARS that I know. I am so excited, I love car trips. Bye for now. Happy New Year to all of you at SCARS and thank you for all your help in giving me a second chance.
Love Ella

No comments: