About SCARS

Second Chance Animal Rescue Society (SCARS) is dedicated to reducing the number of homeless animals in Northern Alberta, Canada

We believe that there is a suitable home for all homeless animals: young or old; large or small.

As a volunteer-run, registered charity, we care for these animals by providing veterinary care and foster homes for animals in need until a permanent home is found. These private foster homes provide the animals with warm shelter, food, exercise, and tender loving care (something that so many of the animals we receive have never experienced).

SCARS does not practice selective intake procedures and operates in a triage manner: taking the animal in most medical need first. As a result our medical expenses are enormous. Please consider donating to our rescue efforts.


Look At Us Now!

To date, SCARS has rescued and rehomed over 3,000 animals.

Because these animals live in our homes, we deveop a very deep bond with our fosters. Many of the adoptive families keep us updated on how well their new companions are thriving in their new homes.

To all the wonderful foster homes, all the tireless volunteers, all the compassionate furever-homes: we say a heartfelt thank-you!

Please support your local rescue society and consider adoption as opposed to buying your new friend.


Friday 6 January 2006

Kaylee (aka Khale Jan 2006)

Hello everyone! It's me, Kaylee of the Yukon - formerly known as Khale.

I am happy, happy, happy with my forever family, and now I finally feel like I belong to the pack. There are so many in my pack, it took me a while to get to know everyone! My dog sister, Mati, and I are good friends. We even snuggle together when we think no one is looking. She's taught me some really cool tricks - barking at the mailman is fun! So is mooching for treats! She's trying to teach me how to howl like a wolf, but so far I just sound like a Canada goose. I'm working on it, though.


They don't follow the same schedule that I was used to when I came here. I paced and paced and nagged and nagged, but they wouldn't listen to me, so I finally gave up and relaxed. Know what? Relaxing is fun! There's always a surprise waiting for me - it could be a long walk on Whyte avenue, or a rip around "Wigglers" Park. It could be a new juicy bone to chew, or my friend the squirrel to chase up the tree. Some days, I just get to be lazy and snuggle on my bed, or Mom and Dad's bed if they're not looking. Sometimes I have sleepovers in my kids' beds, too, but it's hard to sleep in the middle when the kids push me over.


I'm learning to trust everybody in my family to come home again when they go away, and they usually bring treats when they come back. I'm also learning to eat all kinds of tasty foods - I really like carrots now, and broccoli stems, bananas, red peppers, buttermilk (mmm! I love
buttermilk), tuna, butternut squash, peanut butter toast crusts, tiny knobs of cheese (wish they could be big knobs of cheese!)



All this good eating and cozy sleeping helped me to grow! My mom says I'm 2 inches taller and
15 - 20 lbs. heavier than when I came to live here. I weigh 58 lbs. now - all beautiful girlie muscle, thank you very much.



It took me a while to get used to being in the house - so many noises and things that move! Now, I'm not quite so scared of the vacuum cleaner, or the exercise ball ( I like balls, but that big thing is ridiculous!) and I finally let the family rub my belly.


Thanks to everyone who took such good care of me while I was waiting to find my family. Maybe I'll see you at the off leash sometime, but don't expect me to stop for more than a quick sniff, because I love to run like the wind.


I hope that Santa and his reindeer bring you all lots of Christmas joy - I wonder what he'll put in my stocking? Mom has to put the stockings up really high and block off the Christmas tree because guess what - I also learned how much fun it is to chew everything I can get my pretty doggie teeth on! Oh, and I get into the garbage, too. Mom says I'm teaching my kids to be much neater with their things! Well, that's all my good news for now!
Lots of love and doggie hugs from Kaylee

No comments: